Detox Diet Plan: More Than Healthy Eating
Fall is nearly here, meaning it’s the perfect time to begin a detox diet plan. An autumn detox prepares the body for winter by increasing the metabolism, helping you shed some pounds, bolstering the immune system to prevent those cold weather illnesses, cleansing the organs, and balancing the mind. However, a true cleanse goes beyond your daily menu. In addition to following our detox diet plan, try these five practices to purify the mind, body, and spirit:
- Hydrotherapy: Water is used to improve health and revitalize the body and mind in hydrotherapy. The practice has been relied on for centuries and includes a variety of different methods, such as sitz baths, foot baths, hot and cold compresses, sauna sessions, and more. For an at-home version, take a hot shower at a temperature you can just tolerate for five minutes. Switch the temperature to cold for 30 seconds. Alternate hot and cold for 30 seconds each for three rounds. The combination of temperatures improves circulation, aids in elimination, and reduces inflammation. If you have access to a sauna, sit in the heat and sweat out accumulated toxins. Or, create a DIY purifying foot bath by soaking your feet in a basin of warm water mixed with one cup of baking soda and two cups of salt. Let your feet sit in the water for 30 minutes.
- Dry Brushing: Exfoliating the body through dry brushing enhances circulation, rids the body of cellulite-producing impurities, encourages cellular renewal, and even creates soft, smooth skin. Use a dry, natural bristle brush that is specifically made for dry brushing. Be sure to avoid the face! Brush the skin in circular motions starting at the bottom of the feet and always moving up toward the heart. Continue from the feet and finish at the chest. Try this twice a week.
- Pranayama: Yogic breathing techniques, known as pranayama, are soothing, detoxifying, and centering. You’ll relieve toxic stress, increase the flow of fresh oxygenated blood, and strengthen the lungs. Try the 4:4:8 breath, which brings in fresh air and energy, allows the toxins to accumulate, and then releases them on the exhale. Sit in a comfortable seated position with your spine straight. Close your eyes and begin to inhale through the nose to a count of four. Then, retain the breath for a count of four and exhale through the nose to a count of eight. Repeat this for five minutes per day.
- Exercise: Take our detoxifying yoga practice for a spin. Yoga is the ideal way to purify all aspects of your being. It also increases muscle tone and burns calories, offers deep relaxation, and will leave you feeling revitalized. While the body is detoxing, it’s best not to overexert yourself. Cardiovascular exercise can be beneficial. It should be challenging, but make sure you have enough breath to talk during the workout. Try swimming if you have access to an outdoor or indoor pool. It’s therapeutic, low impact, and an excellent way to lose weight. Running, walking, and jumping rope are also effective. Practice deep diaphragmatic breathing throughout your cardio session.
- Relax: Take the time to unplug and recharge. Reducing stress, relaxing, and creating balance in your life are essential to detoxifying. Try meditation, tai chi, or gentle yoga. Turn off your computer, television, and cell phone for a few hours each day. Engage in quiet activities that bring you joy. Your mental health should be a priority as well as your physical health.
These techniques will round out your detox diet plan. Cultivating harmony in all of your body systems and centering yourself will lift that mental fog and help you gain clarity. Take care of yourself from the inside out and you will see the results you’re hoping for.
Detox Diet Plan: More Than Healthy Eating,