Tips for a Successful Vegetarian Diet Plan
A vegetarian weight loss diet is a delicious way to revamp your lifestyle for good health. While the transition can be intimidating for those who base their diet largely on meat and fish, satiating meat replacements can reduce cravings and help you adjust with ease. The following steps can ensure success.
- Start slow by relying on your favorite recipes. Substitute beans, tofu, or meat substitutes for the usual meat, poultry, or fish. The change in diet won’t feel as drastic.
- Go for fortified food products. Choose cereals, milk, and other items that have extra calcium, vitamin B12, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and iron. This is an easy way to supplement your meals.
- Eat a large variety of fruits, vegetables, lean protein sources, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, and complex carbohydrates. This is ideal for getting all of the essential nutrients needed when following a vegetarian diet plan.
- Take a daily vegetarian-friendly multi-vitamin to cover all of your bases. Also try to get outside each day to expose yourself to 10 to 15 minutes of natural sunlight for some much needed vitamin D. A vegetarian micro-algae supplement, combined with a daily intake of flaxseed, flaxseed oil, canola oil, or walnuts, will meet your omega-3 requirements. Dark leafy green vegetables are rich in natural iron. Combine them with vitamin C for maximum absorption.
- Be sure to get complete proteins. Complete proteins are hard to come by with vegetarian diets, but whole soybeans, tofu, and other soy products fit the bill. In addition, pair legumes, such as lentils, with whole grains, nuts, or seeds to create a complete protein.
- Try new sources of complex carbohydrates, such as quinoa, millet, and amaranth for a healthy boost.
- If you still include dairy in your vegetarian weight loss diet, make sure to regularly eat or drink non-fat dairy products. This has been tied to more effective weight loss and weight maintenance.
- Cook light tofu with your favorite sauces and spices. It’s extremely mild and takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. In addition, it’s healthy.
- Be adventurous. Try new recipes and a new food at least once a week to stave off boredom.
- When you’re busy, remember elaborate vegetarian recipes aren’t necessary. Pick up some low-fat, low-sodium frozen vegetarian entrees for when you’re short on time. Try cooking large portions and freezing the remainder of your food in individual, single serving containers.
- Distinguish between mental and physiological meat cravings. Mental cravings tend to pass. Call a friend, go for a walk, or do something to distract yourself until the craving passes. If it’s a physiological craving, this could indicate that your body needs certain nutrients. Find a vegetarian substitute to meet to meet your requirements.
- If you are attending a party or social gathering, bring a vegetarian dish to share with others. This gives you something healthy to eat and scores you some points as a guest.
- Indian food and Asian food tend to have more vegetarian options. Dine at ethnic restaurants when possible to ensure that you can still have a healthy meal while out on the town. At mainstream restaurants, don’t be afraid to ask for changes to an entrée. Most establishments are accommodating and will make you a meatless dish.
- Get enough exercise. Moderate cardiovascular exercise most days per week and a few strength training sessions will melt pounds and make you more motivated to stick with your vegetarian diet plan.
Follow these tips to look and feel great while on a vegetarian weight loss diet. Eating a variety of foods, taking supplements, engaging in regular exercise, and enacting some simple modifications can enhance your weight loss. Be sure to keep in mind that any change to your current lifestyle can be difficult at first. Give your vegetarian diet plan a few weeks and it will become second nature.
Tips for a Successful Vegetarian Diet Plan,